Friday, June 15, 2012

WWKIP - Interview with Toni from Make it Perfect

All week I've been interviewing well known bloggers to celebrate World Wide Knit in Public Day. Today is the last day in the series, and I'm interviewing a blogger who has only just taken up the sticks, but just look at her go!  Before we get to that though, this is the last shout out for RSVPs for the Canberra WWKIP event , which I am hosting tomorrow at A Bite to Eat at the Chifley Shops.  I would so love to see as many knitters (and crochet folk) taking their craft out in public - please RSVP over here or on my Facebook page.

Now without further ado, here's Toni!!!

Toni is probably very familiar to a lot of you, she is the creator behind the very popular Make it Perfect sewing patterns that are a great mix of fresh and modern designs to complement the gorgeous array of modern fabric options.  She lives by the beach in Tasmania (suzy-sigh) with her husband and family and she has recently decided to pick up the sticks and retry knitting.  You can see by how far she has come in just a short while that her creative flair is for more than just sewing...plus she learning how addictive this yarn stuff can be.

Before we start...look at some of her gorgeous designs!

sun kissed hat cover pic

shearwater kaftan cover

First up, do you knit, crochet or both?
A little of both. 

Tell us about how old you were when you learnt and who taught you.
I’m pretty sure I was knitting scarves as a little girl, not sure who taught me – probably my Mum though as she is a top-knotch knitter!  Aside from scarves, I hadn’t ventured into anything else until about 5 years ago when I knitted a horrendous cardi for myself.  The knitting was fine, but the pattern and yarn were terrible and it turned out a chunky, ill-fitting, lump that was sent to the St Vinnies bin!  That was it for me – no more knitting!  Until a few months ago when I discovered MillaMia patterns and got the bug to try again!

toni pernilla

I learned to crochet about 4 years ago when I made little flowers to decorate my sister’s wedding dress.  Totally self-taught via You-Tube videos!  Since then, I’ve made a heap of dishcloths, a bag that didn’t quite turn out right and a beanie. 
I’m not sure which I enjoy most…knitting or crochet – I think crochet is good when I don’t want to think too hard about what I am doing, as I find I need to concentrate more when I knit. 

Tell us about what project/s you have on the go right now.
Right now, I have just about finished knitting a MillaMia Pernilla Dress for my daughter.  I am SO proud of it and thought it would be ready for next winter but has only taken me 4 weeks so far! 

Toni moss stitch

Tell us about what project that you hold most dear.
I guess this would have to be the Pernilla Dress because the cardi I first knitted is definitely not dear to me!

pernilla dress

We never stop learning as knitters/crocheters...helps to keep the Alzheimer's at bay! What is next on your wish list to learn/conquer?
Ooh, Im very beginner at both knitting and crochet so Id like to learn heaps!  Im a bit of a bull at the gate when it comes to learning new crafts and I just want to try everything now so no doubt Ill find another project to get onto once the dress is finished.

Just because we want to rid ourselves of some guilt...
How many UFOs have you got in the cupboard?
VERY proud to say NONE!!  I’m very diligent in sticking to my “don’t start a new project until you’ve finished the last” motto.  I used to have a big UFO pile, but it bugged me too much so I finished everything off and now make sure that UFO’s don’t exist in my crafting.  But it’s okay to have one project on the go in every department…sewing, knitting, quilting, etc.!

Could you open a yarn store with your stash?
Nope, but I could definitely open a fabric store with my fabric stash so if knitting becomes as big in my life as sewing is, come back and ask me again in a couple of years and Im sure the answer will be yes!

...and because we're curious, 
Are you a year round or seasonal knitter/crocheter?
I’d probably have to say seasonal, I really only get the bug when the cold weather hits and I want to snuggle on the couch a little more.  I do love the portability of knitting though, so time will only tell…it could be a great Summer holiday craft to take along with me!

Do you have a favourite yarn or fibre that you work with?
Having not much experience in this, Id have to say not yet.  But I do absolutely love the MillaMia yarn Ive been working with.  Its a dream and highly recommended!

What will you be doing for World Wide Knit in public Day?
UmI didnt know it was on?!  But I did knit in public today while I took the kids to a play centre for two hours to run off some school holiday steam so does that count?!

You can follow Toni over on her Blog, Facebook, Twitter and Ravelry.

Blog 

Well I've had an absolute grand week interviewing all these bloggers and it seems like you all have enjoyed the series too.

Thanks for stopping by,
suzy xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog...I especially love it when I get comments. Have a great day, suzy xoxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...