The recipe is from the Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving, by Ellie Topp and Margaret Howard. I have copied it for you at the bottom of this post. I tell you making raita has never been easier.
1. Add a few teaspoons of your fantastic raita pickles to the serving bowl.
3. Mix and enjoy!
Indian Style Cucumber Relish
6 cups diced peeled cucumber
2 cups thinly sliced onion
1 tbsp pickling salt
2 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 tbsp whole cumin seeds
2 tsp black mustard seeds
2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
1. Place cucumber and onion in a non-reactive bowl and sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Drain vegetables in a sieve, rinse twice and drain thoroughly.
2. Combine vinegar, sugar, seeds in a very large stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add vegetables and return to a boil for 30 seconds.
3. Remove vegetables from liquid with a slotted spoon, pack into hot, sterilised jars. Pour liquid over cucumber to within 1cm of rim.
4. Process 10 mins for 250ml jars and 15 mins for 500 ml jar in canner.
Makes 6 cups.