Wednesday, June 12, 2013

WWKIP 2013 | guest blogger | mespetitselefants

This is the week that knitters take to the streets, to create a spectacle and take part in World Wide Knit in Public Day (WWKIP). As well as hosting two WWKIP events this week, one in Canberra and the other in Sydney, I am honoured to be interviewing five wonderful ladies on my blog. Asking them about their knitting (or crochet) journey and all of their knitting secrets, including UFOs and stash size!

So sit back, maybe with a cup of tea and enjoy today's guest blogger my dear friend, Danielle from mespetitselefants. Click on the 'read more' link below.

First up, do you knit or crochet or both?

I'm primarily a knitter, but I've been trying to learn to crochet. So far I have mastered the granny square... I'm hopeful that one day in the not too distant future I'll understand a crochet pattern without having to look at my crochet 'dictionary'!

Tell us about how old you were when you learnt and who taught you.

I think I was probably about six years old. My Nana taught me, she was a master knitter, as well as a spinner, weaver, sewer, and in later years a quilter - she did everything! She lived in Cooma in the Snowy Mountains and knitted jumpers on commission for everyone far and wide, it seemed, as well as for the entire extended family. I've been knitting almost non-stop ever since. In my teens and in my uni years I knitted a lot of jumpers and cardigans but these days I tend to stick to smaller projects. More recently I've started teaching people to knit and I'm really enjoying it!

Tell us about what project/(s) you have on the go right now.

For the past couple of seasons I've been on a scarf and cowl kick - I can't get enough of them! I love the Madelinetosh honey cowl pattern and am currently knitting my fourth version of it. I've also got a fingering weight skinny lacy cable scarf on the go - and it's my third version of that pattern. When you're onto a good thing, stick to it, I say! I've also got plans to make another Colour Affection shawl.



Tell us about the project that you hold most dear. 

That's difficult - there are so many! I made a beautiful Aran cardigan about twenty years ago, it was in 12 ply and had the most gorgeous cable pattern. I took it to Germany when I lived there for a year and ended up leaving it with my host sister. 

We never stop learning or perfecting our craft. Tell me what is on your 'to learn or conquer' list.

A couple of things - I would love to master the art of a really fancy lace shawl! I'm OK with fairly straightforward patterns but would love to conquer something a bit more complex. That might have to wait until my kids are bit older and there's less chance of being interrupted mid-row! I'd also love to learn to knit continental style, I understand it's a more efficient way of knitting and easier on the arms.

Just because we want to rid ourselves of some guilt…
How many UFOs have you got in your cupboard? 

I am actually pretty good with my knitting projects, I generally finish everything I start (as opposed to quilting projects, which number in the twenties at any given time). My one downfall is procrastinating over the final finishing touches (specifically, darning in ends).

Could you open a yarn store with your stash?

No, I don't think so, it would be a pretty small yarn store! I try to buy yarn for specific projects rather than for stash (again this is different to my fabric stash, which seems to grow exponentially).

…and because we're curious
Are you a year round or seasonal knitter/crocheter?

Generally I'm a winter knitter. I don't enjoy knitting in the heat!

Do you have a favourite fibre or yarn that you like to work with?

I really love knitting with wool and silk blends. Silkbloom is a big favourite, I've done two projects with it and have a third planned.

What will you be doing for World Wide Knit in Public Day this year?

I'll be teaching a knitting workshop the day before so I'll be getting plenty of public knitting in then. I like to knit when my kids are at swimming lessons or soccer practice, so I'm definitely not averse to a little public knitting affection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog...I especially love it when I get comments. Have a great day, suzy xoxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...