Thursday, September 30, 2010

A wintry sewing project - door snakes

In Canberra people talk about the "Labour Day long weekend" as being the last of the frosts that we can expect for the year, and this happens to be this weekend. So I must post about a very wintery sewing project that I made some weeks ago before this last frost is to appear.

The need for a little protection from drafts became a bit more important after our move in May to a much older house. One of our solutions was to use a few door snakes around the place to trap the heat and keep out the cold, cold, cold. Yes I know I could have gone to the local hardware store and bought some cheapo crappo door snakes....but I was after a bit more style you see, and being the mother of two small widgets I thought a sturdy version could perhaps be a bit more practical.

So here is my door snake sewing "method":
1. I decided to make an inner snake out of calico. I laid out the calico as per the picture below, then folded the fabric again in half to create a double layer of calico snake.

2. I then overlocked around three sides.

3. Before filling with sand and sealing the calico snake, I cut out the outer fabric for the snake. For this I found some Ikea fabric in my stash which was just the perfect weight, nice and thick and sturdy! I cut it out around the calico snake piece like this;

4. Fill the inner snake with sand, overlock/sew and reinforce with top stiching.
5. Sew/overlock up the sides of the side and bottom seams of the outer snake. I used my overlocker to finish the top of this snake as well.
6. Finally I added some snaps to the top of the outer snake, so that I could remove the inner one and wash the cover, because I was sure that at some point these door snakes would be seconded off for an alternative use by some small child and dragged around the house....and I was right!

3 comments:

  1. Whoever told you about the frosts only lasting till this weekend was telling porkies! They can last until Melbourne Cup Day! (the day we can at last plant tomatoes!!!)

    Love the door snakes! The ones at the hardware stores are so inflexible and they let in heaps of cold air. I think you're onto a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever idea! My little ones also love to drag snakes around the house, so the sturdier the better!

    Thank you so much for the fabulous bibs!! They are so adorable! Danielle x

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha I thought the same as michelle - don't plant the tomatoes until cup day haha

    your snakes are so stylish - and any project that gives you an excuse to use the ikea stash fabric AND the snap machine is pretty ace I reckon hehe

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog...I especially love it when I get comments. Have a great day, suzy xoxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...